Truck Accidents in California
Accidents that involve trucks or semis are some of the deadliest types of collisions to happen on US roadways. The size and weight of a commercial vehicle are enough to seriously injure or kill multiple people. Semi-trucks can weigh more than 80,000 pounds and need rigorous upkeep and unyielding attention from drivers to keep them from causing serious problems on the roadway.
In 2013, there were 338,000 big rig crashes, 73,000 of which caused injuries, and 3,906 of which were fatal. Since then, truck accidents in California have become an even more common occurrence. In fact, in the past decade, California has been the state with the most recorded truck-related incidents.
The truck accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates are dedicated to protecting your legal rights and helping you get the compensation you are entitled to. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego and Riverside, our lawyers represent big rig crash victims all across California. To schedule a free consultation with one of our accident attorneys, call 949-727-9300.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in California
In 2019, California reported 8,696 incidents involving trucks, with nearly half of those incidents seriously injuring the people who were involved. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) states the following issues as common in big rig accidents:
- Issues with brakes
- Congestion or traffic flow problems
- Driving under the influence
- Truck driver fatigue
- Other incidents of driver error, such as poor decision making or recognition issues
- Poor road conditions and other road-related issues
- Distracted driving
Poor truck maintenance
Who is At Fault for a Truck Accident?
BIg rig crashes can make for very complex claims. This is primarily because the legal responsibility, or liability, for an incident involving a truck can involve multiple entities. Unlike a car accident, where there is typically only the driver and victims involved along with insurers, the liability for a commercial semi crash can fall on many different parties. These include:
- The driver – just like with other vehicular accidents, a negligent driver may be legally required to compensate for injuries caused by the incident.
- The company responsible for maintenance – The owner of the vehicle, which may not be the driver, is responsible for necessary and crucial maintenance of the truck, such as brake pad changes.
- The manufacturing or design company – These companies could be liable if the cause of an accident is determined to be the fault of poor design or faulty manufacturing.
- The transportation company – Generally, employers are responsible for negligent acts that their employees commit while performing their work duties. This means that transportation companies can be liable for driver negligence that causes an accident.
Why Hire a Truck Accident Attorney?
When choosing a California truck accident lawyer, experience and knowledge truly matter. A personal injury lawyer who doesn’t have specific experience in litigating against trucking companies won’t have the means to get you the full and proper extent of compensation that you deserve.
Due to the fact that liability for a commercial truck incident can fall to so many different parties, California truck accident lawsuits can be very complex to navigate. Due to the ability of large trucking companies to defend themselves from liability in these cases, a personal injury lawyer may not be qualified or experienced enough to get victims the compensation they need and deserve.
Trucking companies will also be well prepared to defend themselves from costly litigation. Commercial trucking companies and their insurance carriers will do absolutely everything they can to prevent being held liable for an accident and paying out large quantities of money. These companies are prepared to defend themselves with top-quality representation, which means victims of these crashes should have equally strong attorneys fighting for their rights. For these reasons, it’s important that you are protected by an attorney who is experienced in preparing and winning cases against trucking companies.
Victims deserve to be compensated properly for any losses incurred as the result of an accident. These losses can be either monetary, physical, or emotional in nature, and can include:
- Medical bills
- Loss of wages
- Diminished earning power
- Repairs to a vehicle
- Physical disfigurement or disability
- Loss of quality of life
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Pain and suffering as a direct result of the accident
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a truck or commercial semi, you deserve the best representation from a dedicated truck accident lawyer who can get you the compensation you deserve.
Contact an Experienced California Truck Accident Attorney
The truck accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Samer Habbas & Associates are dedicated to protecting your legal rights and helping you get the compensation you are entitled to. With multiple offices located in Irvine, Los Angeles, El Segundo, San Diego and Riverside, our lawyers represent truck crash victims all across California. To schedule a free consultation with one of our accident attorneys, call 949-727-9300.