Truck v. Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles are at a major disadvantage with regard to safety when involved in crashes with motor vehicles. The danger increases tenfold when the collision involves a semi or commercial truck. The massive size difference between motorcycles compared to trucks places riders in an incredibly vulnerable position. Moreover, big rig blind spots with small motorcycles can create an even more disastrous situation.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a motorcycle accident involving a truck, it is best to immediately retain an experienced California truck accident attorney to protect your rights and get you the full damages that you deserve.
The Blinding Statistics on Motorcycle Crashes
According to the National Highway Traffic Administration (NHTSA), approximately 5,000 motorcycle deaths and 100,000 injuries are recorded each year in the United States. In 2019, 5,014 motorcyclists died in traffic related collisions. Motorcyclists are 27 times more likely to be involved in a fatal collision than passengers in a motor vehicle. This number is significantly higher for truck drivers.
Holding Truck Drivers Accountable for Motorcycle Crashes
While both truck drivers and motorcyclist should be vigilant of one another on the road, in most situations they have trouble co-existing and sharing the road together. While the percentages of big rigs and motorcycle accidents are slightly less than that of automobiles, the extent of an injury and the possibility of death increases greatly.
There are steps that truckers can take to avoid serious and fatal crashes. Failing to follow these simple steps should not be tolerable in the trucking industry. If a truck driver caused your injuries, they should be held liable for their negligent or reckless actions. It is important to note that in most cases, in addition to the driver, the trucking company may also be liable for your injuries. This is why you need to hire an aggressive California truck accident attorney to investigate the facts your accident and hold all parties liable for your injuries.
Common Reasons How Truck Drivers Injure Motorcyclists
Some common ways truck drivers can injure motorcyclists on the road include:
- Blind spots. It is important that truck drivers are mindful of their blind spots, especially for motorcyclists. They should regularly clean and position their mirrors to make sure they have as much visibility of the road as possible. There is no excuse for truck drivers to change lanes without first checking each side of their truck.
- Driving Distracted. Distracted driving is a major cause of all truck accidents, including those involving motorcycles. Using a cell phone, changing the radio station, eating food or chatting with a passenger can easily divert the attention of a truck driver.
- Reckless Turns. Sharp turns are especially dangerous for 18-wheelers or commercial trucks. When a trucker makes a sharp turn at a high speed or to overcorrect their truck, it can cause the truck to easily roll over. These types of reckless behavior can also place smaller vehicles, such as motorcycles, in the path of the truck in great danger.
- Inexperience. Truck drivers should not only have proper training in operating their massive truck, but they should also know how to handle their enormous vehicle around motorcyclists. Motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles, making them less visible from a distance – especially for truckers that have large blind spots.
Important Steps to Take After a Truck v. Motorcycle Accident
Regardless of what caused your motorcycle accident involving a truck, it is imperative that you take certain steps to protect your legal rights and to ensure that you get the full compensation that you deserve.
- Call 911 and file a police report.
- Report all injuries and symptoms. Even if you don’t display any symptoms of visible injuries, you should still seek medical attention because symptoms of certain injuries may take days or weeks to surface.
- Get all pertinent information from the scene of the accident, including taking pictures, getting insurance information from the truck driver and getting information from any witnesses to the scene of the accident.
- Contact an experienced truck accident lawyer to represent you against the truck driver and the trucking company.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, contact the Law Offices of Samer Habbas. Our California truck accident attorneys specialize in handling truck accident cases and have the experience to help you recover your lost wages, medical expenses and any other costs associated with your accident. We will aggressively pursue your claim to ensure that you are rightfully compensated for your injuries.
Please call us at 1-949-873-0755 to discuss your case with an expert truck accident attorney or you can fill out our free consultation form.